'Without effective managers organisations will fail'
HOW EXECUTIVES IN A DOZEN SUCCESSFUL US FIRMS RATE THE PEOPLE IN THEIR MANEGERIAL HIERARCHYS -
The linking pins of any organisation are its managers. To be successful an organisation needs a development process which:
- Equips managers to manage and lead their teams
- Focuses and empowers managers to deliver ever improving business results
- Develops general managers capable of successfully and commercially running a business unit
- Develops the senior managers of the future
This will not happen by chance, it needs to be planned. The management development requirement is the gap between your existing management capability and the capabilities required to deliver your strategy.
The existing capability is:
· the sum of the capability and potential of your existing management team
· the capability of those who you can expect to leave during the period of the strategic plan
The required capability is:
· the capability required from the management team to deliver the strategic plan and develop a flexible and high performance organisation for the future
The management development need is the gap between the existing capability and the capability required to deliver the strategy.
The management capability gap can be met by:
- Recruitment of external candidates
- Development of existing staff
The development of existing staff requires a structured career planning and succession planning system and process. These processes should be updated annually.